Monday, January 31, 2005

Pro-Abortionists Lose A Round

By Christine Korenthal


Pro-“choice” activists and abortion providers have long claimed to be all about helping women and giving women the right to choose. I respectfully disagreed, but believed that their hearts were in the right place. I used to believe that they had the best interest interests of women at heart when saying that we should have a right to choose. I even bought their “it’s all about helping the woman” shtick. That was, until I did some research. I now feel much differently.

Not only did I find out that the many women suffer after abortions, I found out that abortion providers often refuse to educate them about alternatives to abortion or the risks involved. I was shocked to find out that they will even sue in order to bar legislators from forcing them to do so. Long-term risks of abortion include an increased risk of breast, cervical, ovarian, and liver cancer, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, endometriosis, and sterility. It can also cause problems during subsequent pregnancies such as pre-term labor, ectopic pregnancies, placenta previa, and labor complications. The psychological impact can be significant as well. It has been found in some studies that approximately 50% of women experience emotional distress in the form of depression, anxiety, and/or feelings of grief following an abortion. Congress believes this warrants further investigation, yet abortion advocates deny that this problem even exists. And these folks claim to be helping women?

Well, score one for the good guys. Legal precedent was set Friday after a judge in Portland, Oregon ruled in favor of the plaintiff and against All Women’s Health Services, an abortion provider. A 19-year old woman sued the abortion provider because they did not inform her of the psychological or physical risks or the increased risk of breast cancer, prior to her abortion. She was 15 years old at the time. The health risks for women under the age of 20 are even higher than women who are over 25 and this young woman has a family history of breast cancer. This fact was even on her chart, but the abortion provider still did not see fit to inform this young woman of what she was risking by going through with an abortion. Now, in addition to the $200 she plunked down for her abortion, this young woman could someday be forced to pay once again with one or both of her breasts, chemo treatment, and possibly death. That’s a hefty price to pay for convenience.

A month ago, I was talking with my husband about how abortion providers could someday very well be run into the ground by women who feel that they were tricked into believing that this procedure was harmless. I had no idea at the time how on target I was. I figured that setting that legal precedent would be next to impossible; given the hot potato that abortion is, politically and legally speaking. Now this case can hopefully pave the way for women to hit these abortionists in the only place that it seems to hurt them, their wallet. Ordinarily, I don’t advocate these types of lawsuits and I rarely compliment lawyers on their handy work. I am more likely to make a lawyer joke than offer praise for their efforts. But in this case, I say “kudos” to this young woman and to her attorney, Jonathan Clark.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://rfcpgcmi.com/snvx/gcsx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://rjfidups.com/nhls/pmuv.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://rfcpgcmi.com/snvx/gcsx.html | http://fogxkhro.com/yphu/llog.html