Saturday, March 12, 2005

Bionic Soldiers Return To The Battlefield

As a below-knee amputee (as of 12-15-04) I have a bit of experience in the area of prosthetics. I was fitted in February with my first prosthetic leg and have not looked back. Although I have still not been fitted for a running leg, I can already see how far I can go. For some of our wounded soldiers, allowing the little issue of real limb or fake will not stop them from valiantly continuing to serve their country.

From The Times of London Online:

A cavalry officer, Rozelle lost his right foot in 2003 in Iraq when a mine planted in a dirt road exploded under his Humvee. After a gruelling recovery, he is the first amputee to return to combat duty in Iraq.

He is proud to be pioneering a route back to active service for seriously wounded soldiers. “I didn’t want the terrorists to decide for me whether I stayed in the army or not,” he said.

“I hope I’m going to break the ice for others to follow. It’s not easy but I’m going to prove it can be done.”

With the help of a C-Leg, a prosthetic limb with electronic sensors that gives him a normal gait, Rozelle, 33, can outrun most men under his command. “There are a few young bucks who can beat me,” he admitted ruefully, “but not many.”



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

the wAR sucks how could you serve your country and feel proud? see if bush gives a shit when you get your head blown open