Monday, January 19, 2009

Yet Another Reason I Am Glad I Did Not Go Back To School

A few months ago, I flirted with the idea of going back to school for a degree. After discussing the idea with my peers, I came to the conclusion that the ROI (return on investment) for a 4 year degree would not have been worth the cost in time and money. As a result of that decision, I was available to accept a very lucrative promotion that going to school part-time would have prevented me from accepting.

Now it turns out that the student grants that I would have applied for through the state might have been another reason not to go back to school.

Reporting from Sacramento -- The state will suspend tax refunds, welfare checks, student grants and other payments owed to Californians starting Feb. 1, Controller John Chiang announced Friday.

Chiang said he had no choice but to stop making some $3.7 billion in payments in the absence of action by the governor and lawmakers to close the state's nearly $42-billion budget deficit. More than half of those payments are tax refunds.
I can afford to wait for my state tax return for a few extra months, but the payments on that education would have been due and payable immediately.

I pity some state contractors that will undoubtedly be among those that do not get paid in a timely manner. Those people can look to Democrats in the State Legislature if they are seeking to place blame. Instead of seriously negotiating with the Governor and Republicans to solve the impasse, they chose a failed Hail Mary pass with an illegally derived tax increase



0 comments: